Chicks with Bricks and Clocks and Socks


So we are finally to the point to see if my grand plan can pull the kitchen together. I still remember where I was standing, staring at a wall I knew could be more.  Our patio has two sets of French doors that lead into it, really only one set that is usable.  This small rectangle of wall that surrounded the doors would pretty much be the first thing you see when you walk into my kitchen.  Drywall just wouldn't do.



I had already decided I wanted a brick backsplash, something classic, yet unique.  But what to do with this wall?  Brick the whole thing?  Now that seems like a lot of work [and I had already agreed with the contractors on the scope of work...and the budget], but it just seemed destined to be brick.  The more I looked at brick options online, the more I was determined that we move forward with restructuring the wall and the backsplash.


My fireplace is brick, and old, Chicago style dirty brick, and there was no chance to match the exact color and wear.  So for the backsplash we went with what we thought that brick might have looked like at one time [when it was just a young brick, ready to take on the world] and decided to whitewash it all once it was complete.


This step had to wait until those pesky perimeter counters got in, and the counters were waiting on my perimeter cabinets.  It was also a bit tricky to plan for my trim [you know, the whole reason I started this project], because the trim would need to be moved out to allow room for the brick.  However, once everything was set, my little mason's got to work!  Took 3 days to get the brick up. Now we are waiting for 3 days for the mortar to dry so they can be whitewashed.  They went ahead and started on the fireplace.


So this was the week Steve decided to get more involved.  Yep, 10 weeks in he is ready to help.  Our conversation went something like this:

S: Have you thought about not whitewashing the brick?
C: Mmmm of course.  But if we don't whitewash it, you won't be able to see the stained oak window frame [which was another day and a half project I sprung on my team...] and it will look really busy against our white fusion countertops.
S: So you don't want to leave it the way it is?
C: Why are you so concerned with this?
S: I thought you wanted me more involved? Isn't this what you want?
C: More involved is code for you telling me I'm doing a great job.  Every time you want to give an opinion, just tell me I'm doing awesome.
S: Oh yeah, ok, it looks great.
C: *Slowly sips coffee*
S: *Pretends to be really busy on his phone*



In general, I always had a feeling that whitewash was overdone and a bit cliche. However, I had two [very classy, I might add] friends express their excitement and how good they thought our fireplace would look whitewashed. Also, I was just over the dirty dark red. 99% of this kitchen renovation has been to make this kitchen look lighter, brighter, and bigger than it did before.  Will it turn out looking like a farmhouse kitchen? I don't think so, but there are worse problems to have.




Comments